Friday, December 12, 2008

Thankful...

Most people have already received my email but for those that haven't here is the story of the accident I was in last week with some pictures to go with. Thanks to everyone who has already emailed and called to show their support!

On 5 Dec I was in a convoy of civilian vehicles heading to the Saudi Arabian border to check out our water well project at the border forts. I was in an armored Suburban with 4 other people. Around noon-thirty we heard a loud pop and the car started to pull. The rear driver-side tire had burst. The driver tried to correct but it's a 5 ton vehicle and we spun around out of control and started tumbling. We think we rolled 5-10 times, not really sure but it was it seemed like a lot.

When the car came to a stop, the other guy in the third row seating with me, Capt Craig Holder, and I were the only ones left in the car. The other three were thrown from the vehicle while it was rolling. They didn't make it. Craig and I got out alright and walked around taking care of the situation while the rest of the vehicles stopped to help. We spent that night in the ICW of the Al Asad hospital where they took very good care of us (other than missing my vein once while taking blood) and even gave us some ABU Christmas hats. Other than some scrapes, bumps and bruises we ended up being just fine.



Craig and I with our ABU Christmas hats at the Al Asad Hospital after our accident.
This is a view from the road above. I was sitting in the very back of the Suburban on this side. This was right after the crash so nothing had been moved. This is actually how the vehicle came to a stop.


Here is a close up of the passenger side with the chassis out in front.


Here you can see the engine is clearly no longer in the vehicle.



Another side view. We think the last time we rolled we went end over end but we're not really sure.
I hope no one was freaked out by these but rather realizes what a precious gift life is. I am thankful to be here to write this to all of you and can't wait to see everyone when I get home! Both Craig and I know that the Lord has something special planned for us and we are truly blessed to be here to accomplish whatever it may be. I am attaching my contact info below in case you would like to email or write or call (if you have DSN).

Please take care and God bless!
~Me
Lt Micki Smeeding
MNSTC-I J-7
Phoenix Base
APO AE 09348
DSN: 318-852-1062

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you!! Talked to Richard for 2 hours yesterday!! It was nice to hear about you and everything you guys are planning (his training, bases you both want, etc). He was working diligently on the Christmas card too!!

Cassie and Chris said...

I'm glad to hear you are doing well and still have high spirits and a smile on your face after the accident.

mdlycan said...

Oh, Micki! I am so glad you are okay- what a huge PRAISE!!!! I wish you could be with Richard, but it sounds like you have the right perspective and a lot of faith. Keep it up!!!

LéMar said...

What an experiance! Thanks be to God that you are still in one piece, I'm so glad! Enjoy your holidays and keep your head up.

Jeremy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeremy said...

Holy wow, Micki - God is definitely there with you! That really puts a reality-check in for me, and I don't get to deploy for a while!

I'm praying for you, though, and will look for you on Skype. God bless!